Regarding the importance of accounting exports in billwerk, please read these articles:
- The configuration of the financial accounting accounts
- The posting journal
- The financial accounting export
- Possible problems with the accounting export
The configuration of the financial accounting accounts
Before you can perform a data export you need to configure the financial accounting accounts. Please refer to this article for a detailed configuration guide.
The posting journal
Under the menu item Activities > Accounting > Postings you will find all postings automatically generated by the billwerk system. The generation takes place approximately once per minute. You can find the last time at which postings were generated directly under the heading.
By selecting the "from" and "to" dates, you restrict the period for which the postings are listed.
The posting list contains the following fields:
The posting date of the respective posting.
For postings that are subsequently entered for a period that is already closed, the "ideal" posting date (that which would be the posting date if the period were still open) is displayed in parentheses after the actual posting date.
The sequential posting number of the fixed postings.
Postings are fixed as soon as they have been assigned to an export. As long as this has not been done, "(Draft)" is displayed in this column instead of the posting number.
The type of posting. There are the following types of postings:
|Account, Contra Account||The accounts addressed by the posting.|
|Amount||The amount posted.|
|Document Number||The number of the document (invoice number or credit memo number) to which the posting is linked.|
|Text||The posting text.|
For documents that contain positive and negative line items we create two separate postings.
The financial accounting export
When postings are exported, they are fixed (persisted). A posting can only be assigned to one export.
All changes that are made after the export of a posting and that affect this posting, for example, changing the account configuration, changing the debitor account, changing a cost center, moving the contract to another customer, lead to adjustment postings.
To create an export of financial accounting data, go to Activities > Accounting > Accounting Exports.
After you have clicked the "Create Export" button, a small dialogue will appear where you can set the export date and the format of the first file(s) of the export. If you confirm the selection, the creation of the export is started. All posting records that have not yet been assigned to an export and whose posting date is less than or equal to the key date are assigned to the new export.
- If postings from previous months are found, a separate export file is created for each of these months. This makes it easy to see which postings belong to which period.
In this context, please also note the "Monthly closing" function.
- If you have been using billwerk for a long time and start an export for the first time after the update to the new accounting export, billwerk automatically generates individual exports for all past months. For each month, a corresponding file is created in the selected format, which then contains the corresponding postings. The "old" export files are still available in the Activities > Accounting > Legacy files area.
If you have created an export, you will see it in the list of exports.
In this list, the name, the creation date and the number of assigned postings are displayed.
If you click on an export line, further information on this export is displayed in the detail area:
|Export date||The date on which the export was created.|
|Posting groups||The number of posting groups contained.|
|Postings||The number of assigned postings|
|Posting period||The period that the assigned postings are assigned to.|
All files generated for export are listed in a separate area.
Several files can be generated for one export. This is useful, for example, if you have added or changed additional information to the postings and want to generate a new version of the file with the same postings but changed additional information.
You can also simply create and download another file in a different format. However, the posting data contained in the export cannot be changed.
The list of files contains the date, the format and a version number - followed by the download option.
You can create a new export file with the option "Create file" at the bottom of the detail view.
Please also see our billwerk.tutorial on this topic.
Possible problems with the accounting export
- The accounting export can only be performed if all configurable revenue accounts are defined in the account settings. If not all revenue accounts are defined, follow these instructions.
- If the error: "no postings to export" occurs, there are no postings up to the selected date or all postings have already been exported in a previous accounting export.
- If the error: "there are incomplete postings which cannot be exported" occurs, it can have two causes:
- That "Use debitor accounts" is selected in the accounting settings, but not all customers for whom there are postings have a debitor account. How existing customers can automatically receive a debitor id at a later date is described here. If you want to assign the missing customer number manually, you can, for example, export the "Contracts" report and determine the customers who do not have a customer number and then edit the master data manually by going to the customer details and filling in the "Debitor ID" there via the "Edit" button.
- That there are undefined revenue accounts in the settings under Accounts. In order to be able to create an export in this case, all revenue accounts must first be defined. Go to Settings > Accounts and fill in all existing account fields.